WELCOME TO USMILNET

EM insignia

(1/2) > >>

saboteur:
can anybody tell me what's the origin of the EM insignia. It doesn't match the jobs we do so why the globe?

vftb:
Hey Jim, welcome aboard, glad to have you  :cheers:

Try asking your question here Link.  There's a lot of folks with a lot of history that hang out there, someone will probably know the answer to your question; I don't  :tard:

vftb:
Now if I were to answer the question, I'd say that's not a globe but a ball of tangled wires  ;D

MastersMate:
The Electricians Mate Globe.

From information that has been published in the fore runner to " ALL HANDS" the USN information magazine back in 1943.

" It has been reported that the rating badges for Electrician were first ordered specifying a "globe" ( meaning electric light bulb) as the specialty mark. On delivery, the mark namufactured out to be a replica of the world globe. Despite the error in communications, the world globe looked so well that it was rtetained. No evidence has been found to dispute this theory to explain the mark which does not visually represent its rating.

Thats the story.

BuoyJumper:
You're amazing Dana.  I have learned a bunch from you ... thanks.

January 8, 2009

Navy Ratings

In the Navy, a "rating" denotes a job. Some examples of ratings are electrician's mate, hospital corpsman, equipment operator, gunner's mate, storekeeper and engineman.

A symbol, called a rating insignia, represents each job. A boatswain's mate rating insignia pictures two crossed anchors. Since the boatswain's mate job description includes the upkeep and handling of boats, the symbol is easy to understand, as are most rating insignias. However, some rating insignias may be difficult to understand, such as the electrician's mate insignia, which is sort of globe shape with lines and does not shout out "electrician's mate". To remember an esoteric symbol, try to associate a description with the job. As an example, some electrician's mates describe their symbol as a light bulb.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

E-Mail the Administrator

Custom Search