USMILNET
April 18, 2014, 11:34:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Members !! Be sure to check the Deployed Members Check in Here Board. Thanks !! Smiley

Home   Help Login Register  

WELCOME TO USMILNET
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SHIPWRECK OF THE MESQUITE WLB-305  (Read 10133 times)
BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 01:39:11 pm »

Save a Boat - Ride a Coastie ... 
"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. Itís the life in your years" ..........Abraham Lincoln
My CGC Mesquite Photo Album (Click Here)                  MY COAST GUARD CHANNEL PAGE  (Click Here)
BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 01:40:15 pm »

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. Itís the life in your years" ..........Abraham Lincoln
My CGC Mesquite Photo Album (Click Here)                  MY COAST GUARD CHANNEL PAGE  (Click Here)
BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 01:42:19 pm »

A Coast Guard inspection team arrives in the spring and boards the ship.

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 01:44:43 pm »

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 01:45:21 pm »

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 01:46:17 pm »

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 01:47:02 pm »

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 01:48:30 pm »

Stonehouse photo

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 01:49:41 pm »

Stonehouse Photo

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 01:50:50 pm »

With the superstructure removed final preparations are made to move the MESQUITE from Keweenaw Point and scuttle her in 110-feet of water to serve the people of the Upper Peninsula as a dive attraction in the Keweenaw Point Underwater Preserve.   

Stonehouse Photo

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 01:55:00 pm »

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 01:55:40 pm »

BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 02:06:47 pm »

Mesquite sunk 20 years ago today
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009, 11:55 am
By Ryan Bentley News-Review Staff Writer

During its service on the Great Lakes, the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Mesquite regularly tended to the buoys that help watercraft avoid navigational hazards.

But 20 years ago today, Friday, Dec. 4, the 180-foot-vessel ó which had been using Charlevoix as its home port for nearly a decade ó fell victim to one of those underwater hazards itself.

In early December 1989, the Mesquite was working buoys on Lake Superior ó a territory normally handled by the Duluth, Minn.-based Coast Guard tender Sundew, which was in drydock for maintenance at the time.

Shortly after 2 a.m. on Dec. 4, the Mesquite ran aground off Keweenaw Point in the same shallow waters marked by a seasonal buoy that the crew had just retrieved.

With the hull breached, water began penetrating the shipís lower reaches immediately. The ship continued pounding against the shoal on which it was lodged.

After attempting for several hours to free the vessel and control damage, the crew of 53 abandoned ship.

ďWe had done everything we could possibly do at that point,Ē said Mark Simmons, who was a chief boatswainís mate on the Mesquite at the time of the grounding and now lives near Petoskey.

Two small boats carried aboard the Mesquite were used in shuttling the crew to the Mengal Desai, an Indian-flagged freighter bound for Duluth that had been asked to stand by.

Three Mesquite crew members whoíd been injured during the ordeal that morning were airlifted from the freighter to a hospital in Han****.

Following the crewís abandonment, rough weather further damaged the Mesquite, and it was then declared unsalvageable. In mid-1990, the ship was deliberately sunk in about 120 feet of water off the coast of the Keweenaw Peninsula, and now is one of numerous wrecks that serve as diving attractions as part of the Keweenaw Underwater Preserve.

A Coast Guard formal board investigation said the immediate cause of the vesselís grounding was failure by the officer of the deck and the commanding officer to properly carry out and supervise standard navigational practices while operating in unfamiliar waters at night. Investigations led to punishments for Mesquiteís captain Richard Lynch, engineering officer James Thanasiu and Susan Subocz, the officer on deck at the time of the grounding.

Looking back, several who served on the Mesquite donít tend to place blame for the grounding in specific hands.

ďIt takes more than one person to ground a ship,Ē said John Kramer, a former Mesquite crew member who now lives in Wolverine. ďThe captain is ultimately in charge.Ē

At the same time, ďI had nothing but good to say about the captain,Ē he added.

Simmons, too, noted that he respected the captain, and that he believes the officer on deck took unnecessary heat for the incident.

ďShe was a great lady,Ē he said, adding that the crew also was contending with unfavorable weather on the morning of the grounding.

Kramer noted that the Mesquite was covering waters normally handled by another vessel that December, and that crew fatigue perhaps was at play on the morning of the grounding.

ďWhat a lot of people donít realize is how many hours you work when youíre on a ship like that,Ē he said.

When the Mesquite went out of service, the Coast Guardís fleet of seagoing buoy tenders on the Great Lakes was reduced from five to four.

One of those remaining, the Acacia, was reassigned from Grand Haven to Charlevoix. She remained there until her 2006 decommissioning.

The Mesquiteís story has been told in at least one book and one television documentary. Still, to Kramer, ďit is odd how many people who are familiar with the lakes and are on the lakes every year are unfamiliar with the Mesquite and what happened.Ē

Kramer, who was assigned to five different units during his 9 1/2 years in the Coast Guard, added: ď(The Mesquite) was the best unit I ever served on, and (its crew was the) best group of people

Original Article

Gorilla24D
Gunslingers like beer.
Administrator
Master Blaster

Deuce

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 02:31:35 pm »

Gorilla Deuce                    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at    
Gunslingers Live Forever      night only because rough men stand ready
                                        to do violence on their behalf"George
                                                                                  Orwell         
    Life is Pain,you havn't lived it till you've felt it... ForJack! ...It is what it is.

Vets4Victory
BuoyJumper
Administrator
Expert Master Blaster

NEVER SUBMIT

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 05:09:11 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

E-Mail the Administrator

Custom Search