WELCOME TO USMILNET

Sam's Hams

(1/2) > >>

debk:
Has anybody here ever bought Sam's spiral sliced hams?

I have quite often and they are every bit as good as Honey Baked at a fraction of the cost.

I mix brown sugar, mustard, and a bit of orange juice in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar melts. Pour it slowly over the ham, tent it and bake at a 250 for only about an hour and a half. I will add a bit of water to keep the bottom of the roaster just covered. It doesn't affect the flavor and keeps the meat more moist. It will not be hot all the way through, but since I'm usually doing a buffet, I really don't care.

I don't follow the directions! I did the first time and it was too dry. It is already completely cooked and I'm just wanting the topping to soak in a bit.

It's great for serving a bunch of people.

Mr. P:
Quote from: debkoefoot on December 08, 2006, 05:18:18 pm

I have quite often and they are every bit as good as Honey Baked at a fraction of the cost.

I mix brown sugar, mustard, and a bit of orange juice in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar melts. Pour it slowly over the ham, tent it and bake at a 250 for only about an hour and a half. I will add a bit of water to keep the bottom of the roaster just covered. It doesn't affect the flavor and keeps the meat more moist. It will not be hot all the way through, but since I'm usually doing a buffet, I really don't care.

I don't follow the directions! I did the first time and it was too dry. It is already completely cooked and I'm just wanting the topping to soak in a bit.

Never had Sams, but I have had some better or as good as Honey Baked and as you say for a fraction of the price.

You’re doing the right thing adding water to the roaster. BTW..
 Place the ham on a rack above the water for best results. (y)

debk:
Quote from: Mr. P on December 08, 2006, 05:34:22 pm

Quote from: debkoefoot on December 08, 2006, 05:18:18 pm

Never had Sams, but I have had some better or as good as Honey Baked and as you say for a fraction of the price.

You’re doing the right thing adding water to the roaster. BTW..
 Place the ham on a rack above the water for best results. (y)

I do....fotgot that part....kinda help steams the moisture in,..

Thor:
With few exceptions, I buy the meats we eat almost exclusively at Sam's. We've had their spiral sliced hams for several years and have had few regrets. (Except when the Mother in Law or Brothers in law try to prepare them) They do as Deb first did, cook them to death and they are dry. Might as well have ham jerky !!  ::)

debk:
Quote from: Thor on December 08, 2006, 09:30:05 pm

With few exceptions, I buy the meats we eat almost exclusively at Sam's. We've had their spiral sliced hams for several years and have had few regrets. (Except when the Mother in Law or Brothers in law try to prepare them) They do as Deb first did, cook them to death and they are dry. Might as well have ham jerky !!  ::)

I don't know why they have the directions they do on the ham!!! They are so horrible....maybe we should offer to rewrite them for Sam'....

for a small fee of course!   :tongue2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

E-Mail the Administrator

Custom Search